The Education Specialist in Nursing Education is designed for nurses with a master’s degree who want to become specialists in nursing education in either the academic or professional development arenas. The degree equips the nurse educator with the necessary competencies to create and evaluate curriculum, manage classrooms, develop effective teaching strategies, conduct program evaluation, and utilize innovative technology to educate the next generation of nurses. Using a unique interdisciplinary approach, the program focuses on the science of teaching and learning for the Nurse Educator. Students will engage in application of scholarly research throughout the coursework. The Ed.S. program provides a degree pathway for students who are unable or unwilling to complete the dissertation process.
- Integrates theoretical frameworks from nursing, higher education, and related disciplines to design transformational nursing education and inform the role of the nurse educator.
- Demonstrate expertise in the creation, implementation, and evaluation of innovative nursing curriculum to improve nursing education and reflect trends in higher education, healthcare, and nursing practice.
- Combine expert knowledge of ethical, social, global, cultural, political, and economic issues affecting nursing education to provide innovative educational leadership.
- Provide visionary leadership to effect change in nursing education through adoption of a servant leadership mind-set and service to the profession.
- Create a collaborative culture and function as a member of the community of scholars.
- Foster collaboration across and between disciplines to enhance interprofessional partnerships in clinical practice and education.
- Summarizes resources needed related to the effective development, implementation, and evaluation of nursing education.
- Role model professional expertise and the value of lifelong learning in the role of nurse educator and educational leader.
- Contribute to the advancement of the science of nursing education through intellectual inquiry, dissemination, and creative scholarship.
The mission of the Specialist in Nursing Education is to provide a research and evidenced-based approach to nursing education. Students will be given the tools to transform nursing education by becoming exceptional educators and leaders who use forward-thinking, evidence-based innovation, and collaboration to transform organizations and systems within a global society.