Feb 28, 2024
The Master of Science (M.S.) in Sustainable Management is designed to offer graduate business education combined with sustainability education, preparing students to work across diverse green economic sectors such as agriculture, energy, and technology. Graduates will be equipped with skills and knowledge to become change agents, develop solutions-based projects, and lead diverse and inclusive teams. The MSSM program engages students in critical and creative thinking through real-life business case studies, it provides students a platform to develop and design project ideas, and students examine topics through collaborative teamwork and service-learning.
The Master of Science (M.S.) in Sustainable Management program prepares students for sustainability leadership positions in corporations, nonprofit organizations, and as entrepreneurs who create and own small businesses to help broaden value-driven, ecologically, and socially responsible business objectives and development.
- Interpret dimensions of sustainability across a triple bottom line of ecological, economic, and social dimensions.
- Appraise sustainability business practices across various green economic sectors including agriculture, energy, and technology.
- Employ the concept of sustainability to identify opportunities for improvement and design business model solutions.
- Breakdown business theories and demonstrate systems thinking to assess business conditions.
- Support inclusivity and diversity in business communities and environments to build diverse collaborative teams within green sectors.
- Distinguish metrics and measures to evaluate development, operations, business performance for sustainability across ecological, economic, and social dimensions.
- Practice and advocate for awareness of policies promoting sustainability across ecological, economic, and social dimensions.
Focus of Study Options
Business Performance Management
The Business Performance focus of study presents students with foundational functions of business needed for optimal performance, which focuses on leading positive organizational change in an effective manner. In addition, students will demonstrate ways to lead with agile strategic management techniques, applying major components of leading various business environments. This focus of study concentrates on core courses teaching fundamentals of finance, economics, and business statistic concepts and skills.
The Focus of Study in Entrepreneurship is designed for students to build critical entrepreneurial skills and prepare students from different backgrounds to plan, develop, and launch new ventures. Students will identify key steps of the entrepreneurial process, from identifying new opportunities, developing an integrated strategic marketing plan, to cultivating a growth mindset as an intrapreneur.
The Focus of Study in Public & Nonprofit Leadership focuses on applying the process of leading ethically, in a spirit of social justice, using effective communication, and actively leading public and nonprofit organizations. Designed for those who are seeking to possess or enhance leadership skills utilized in managing public and nonprofit organizations. The curriculum blends concepts of leading and managing public and nonprofit organizations to recognizing stakeholders’ roles, volunteer oversight, and organizing nonprofit boards.
Course List (31 Semester Credits)
Core Courses (22 Semester Credits)
Choose a Three-Course Focus of Study (9 Semester Credits)
Business Performance Management
Any three courses selected from courses above in focus of study options.
- This program is neither designed nor approved (as of the publication date of this Catalog) to prepare students for licensure or certification in any state.
- Check availability in your state on the Programs by State section of the ACE website.