Aug 08, 2022
Master’s Level Certificate
The Transition to Teaching (T2T) program in Elementary Education prepares candidates to manage K-6 classrooms and meet the needs of elementary students. Candidates research best practices and ways to guide their students toward success. Candidates master the foundations of literacy, learn how to integrate digital technology into their instruction, and enter the classroom with student teaching experience. The graduate certificate program leads to an initial elementary generalist teacher license in Indiana. Students who do not reside in Indiana should determine requirements for applying the Indiana initial license for teacher licensure in their state of residence. All courses in this program can be applied to a Master of Arts in Elementary Teaching at American College of Education.
- Design and deliver instruction that is responsive to student diversity and differences and promotes high achievement for all students.
- Support the achievement of all students through standards-based, data-driven decision making and integrated, differentiated instruction that effectively uses appropriate technologies and tools.
- Demonstrate in-depth understanding of assessment and use assessment results to inform instructional decision making. (
- Recognize the importance of well-organized, positively managed, and safe learning environments and their impact on instructional effectiveness and student achievement.
- Use knowledge of scientifically based research to plan and deliver instruction in content areas, including reading, language arts, math, science, social studies, fine arts, health, wellness, and physical education, for the purpose of improving the achievement of all students.
The mission of the Transition to Teaching program in Elementary Education is to prepare students to teach in K-6 classroom settings using effective curriculum designing, instructional methods, assessment and classroom management strategies.
Course List (24 Total Semester Credits)
Literacy Courses (9 Semester Credits)
Education and Teaching Core Courses (6 Semester Credits)
Digital Learning and Teaching/Technology Course (3 Semester Credits)
Mathematics Course (3 Semester Credits)
Science Course (3 Semester Credits)
Assessment and Support Courses
Non-Licensure Option Track (for students no longer wishing to be licensed as a teacher. This will be taken instead of student teaching)
Additional Information for Initial Teaching Licensure Programs
Please see Certificate in Transition to Teaching/Masters of Arts in Teaching in Program Specific Academic Policies.
- This program is designed to prepare students for eligibility for initial teacher licensure.
- This program has been approved as meeting the initial teacher licensure requirements in the state of Indiana.
- Check availability in your state on the Programs by State section of the ACE website.