Feb 20, 2024
The Transition to Teaching (T2T) program in Secondary Education prepares candidates to meet the changing needs of today’s grade 5-12 adolescent students. Candidates learn how to structure core content classes, utilize best practices, incorporate digital tools into the learning environment, and differentiate instruction for diverse learners. The graduate certificate program leads to an initial secondary teacher license in Indiana. Students who do not reside in Indiana should determine requirements for applying the Indiana initial license for teacher licensure in their state of residence. All courses in this program can be applied to a Master of Arts in Secondary Teaching at American College of Education.
- Design and deliver instruction that is responsive to student diversity and differences and promotes high achievement for all students.
- Apply standards-based, data-driven decision making and integrated differentiated instruction using appropriate technologies and tools to improve the achievement of all students.
- Demonstrate in-depth understanding of assessment and use assessment results to inform instructional decision making.
- Establish well-organized, positively managed, and safe learning environments, and analyze their impact on instructional effectiveness and student achievement.
- Use knowledge of scientifically based research to plan and deliver instruction in content areas, including reading, language arts, math, science, social studies, fine arts, health, wellness, and physical education, for the purpose of improving the achievement of all students.
Course List (18 Total Semester Credits)
Literacy Course (3 Semester Credits)
Education and Teaching Core Courses (12 Semester Credits)
Digital Learning and Teaching/Technology Course (3 Semester Credits)
Assessment and Support Courses
Non-Licensure Option Track (for students no longer wishing to be licensed as a teacher. This will be taken instead of student teaching)
Additional Information for Initial Teaching Licensure Programs
Please see Certificate in Transition to Teaching/Masters of Arts in Teaching on the Program Specific Academic policy page.
- This program is designed to prepare students for eligibility for initial teacher licensure.
- This program has been approved as meeting the initial teacher licensure requirements in the state of Indiana.
- Check availability in your state on the Programs by State section of the ACE website.